A jacket I have been eyeing for ever is the Asmar Equestrian All Weather Rider, and I was absolutely thrilled to finally have this celebrated no-miss equestrian garment in my closet.
It is not only very stylishly cut (not a sign of bulky winter coat in sight), it is also the perfect coat to help you transition from street to stable on a gloomy autumn/winter day.
This award winning jacket really is technical perfection and here’s why:
- The coat transforms to help keep you and most saddles dry in a variety of ways for a variety of weather conditions.
- Front and back skirts unveil behind a hidden zipper gusset to fit over the saddle. What I did for a hack, is sit on the skirt in the back to still keep warm, but have the least amount of flapping about in the forest when staying put in the saddle. Worked perfectly for my spookmaster mare.
- When the skirts are not in use, they snap elegantly into place – enter the street look.
- It has a removable hood, which gives you the choice the remove it while riding and putting it back on at the stables once you’ve removed your helmet.
- The 3M Reflective safety piping at the back is not only functional but also exquisitely placed to enhance the elegant shape of the jacket.
Now for the really technical stuff: The jacket is made of water resistant Dintex membrane with a bonded fleece backing i.e. no wet shoulder and legs. It has YKK zippers throughout (also, no leaking here), zippered chest and side pockets for cell phone or personal items (no awkward reaching inside of your coat or losing keys!) and inside ribbed sleeve cuff to prevent hay and weather elements from entering. And… best of all for us dirty equestrians… it’s washable (machine was cold)!
I tested the coat on a few occasions which included watching my friend train her horses in -7c freezing cold. On this occasion, I wore it as an extra layer over my riding gear to keep my legs and body warm, and I loved it! Then, I took it for the ultimate grey, gloomy, rainy, swiss muddy weather test and it passed with flying colors: riding in the All Weather Rider keeps you protected from the elements without feeling restricted. It is just the right weight and shape to not have the feeling of wearing something heavy and bulky. It feels like it still breaths while keeping you gloriously protected and warm.
The All Weather Rider comes in a variety of colors which will make it hard to choose just one. A classic and functional must have in the equestrian closet.
Get your own Asmar Equestrian All Weather Rider here